Thursday, January 5, 2017

BE! #9: Haikus and Rhythm: "Transition" + Benny Carter

I was listening to Benny Carter's arrangement and recording of "There's a Small Hotel" from January 1937. I heard a part in the track that's quite interesting. It's a transition to the Instrumental Section in which new rhythms of the original melody are featured (referring to the latter). The singer played the new melody very naturally. I wish I could tell you his name but I don't have the information yet. I loved both parts (Transition and Instrumental Section), but what really caught my attention was the harmonic changes the arranger devised. Very clever!

As a reaction I came up with some poetry I've been exploring, the Haiku. I added another term which I want to use as an art form, new series/medium for my art. Not sure if "Haikus in Rhythm" would be a better title but for now I shall name it "Haikus and Rhythm".

This particular entry reads..

Some happy mood change
Then series of dissonance
To resolve this thought

2017Jan05
five AM

More information about the artist (composer/arranger/band leader/alto saxophonist/clarinetist/trumpeter) Benny Carter can be found here, care of the Rutgers IJS Library, Newark, New Jersey.

To know more about this 1936 classic Standard, "There's a Small Hotel", click on this one prepared by JazzStandards.com.

I also featured the same song in my first Mixcloud Entry. It's June Christy's version with the Johnny Guarnieri Quintet from 1949. The musicians are Johnny Guarnieri (piano, leader, possibly the arranger too), June Christy (vocal), Charlie DiMaggio (alto saxophone, clarinet), George Walters (trumpet), Leo Guarnieri (bass, violin) and Frank Paristi (drums).

You can purchase his track by checking out any of the links below:

Benny Carter on Amazon


2017Jan17
Five:Thirty-Three PM

No comments:

Post a Comment